Filling and sanding of the backdrop

I have done some work doing filling and sandig of the backdrop, so the surface can be as good as possible. The corners look good. After more filling and sanding, the next task is to prime the background. And may be some more filling and sanding if necesarry. I try to make it as good as possible before painting.

The backdrop is in place

All the plywood and corners for the backdrop and roof are installed. One of the corners are in place and the plastercloth model works well. Check also out the panorama of the layout room, made by 5 images.

 

The backdrop is in progress

I have done some work on the backdrop and roof. Soon I can start the sanding and surface preparation.

I have molded a testcorner, using a ballon and plasterclothing. It can be used, but I need to buy a bigger ballon.

  

Building the new permanent empire has started

The building of my new permanent layout empire has started. The preparation of the physical site, the layout room has started. The planning of the new layout is in a good position, so now the building of the background and roof has started.

I want to have no sharp corners between the background and roof, so in the corners I use paperpipes to mold concrete columns in, diameter 20 cm, that have been cut in 4 parts, each forming a 90 degrees curved element, to be placed in the corner, between the roof and walls.

 

Coloring in progress

Now I have prepared the rocksurface on the module and it's near finish. The first coloring of the rock have been done. A test with some of my new trees from Loren Snyder. The foliage is put on for test.

A lot of more work to be done on the coloring on detailing of the surface.

 

Old layout removed, continue on modul

After the old section layout was removed and the room cleaned, the work continue on the modul.

I have molded some rockpieces, and have started to glue them in position.

I have also started the building of the riverbed and glued some rockpieces in the river. A lot of blending work are still to be done.

 

Demolition Day, The End of a Layout

Tonight I have done some destruction. It has been Demolition Day for my old Section Layout. I has been clear for some time that I never would finish this layout, so after some inspirational work on the design of the plans for a new permanent layout, I got inspiration to remove the old layout. It is in 3 sections, I will save 2 of them, including the old Bjørkli Viaduct. But the middle section is now history.

I save only a small part having a few Wright turnouts, that I will use on the new permanent layout.

 

The foundation are in place and landscaping in progress

Now all the foundations for the trestle are in place and the work to blend this into the landscape have started. Parts of the landscaping are in good progress. One of the next step will be to glue on some molded rockpieces and also finish the surface of the landscape. The riverbed can also be done soon. The AZL GS4 and the reefers are in action on the trestle.

 

 

Some braces installed

The trestle has been setup on a sort of foundation, so the braces can be installed. A few of them are in place on the model. And some equipment are testing the trestle.

 

All bents mounted on trackbed, upside down

Tonight all the 30(not 29 as earlier sayd) bents have been glued to the underside of the trackbed. I did the job upside down, the trackbed was put on the table over a 1:1 drawing of the bridge. Here I had indicated he positions for all bents and also the height of each bent. Also the deck brigde is installed.

The next step will be to turn the whole bridge around and start to mount the vertical braces. I guess I also need to look at the fundation for the whole trestle. Today is thursday, so the next work will be done after the weekend, in the next week, after some travelling.

 

Lower level finished, track installed, first run

The lower level of the module is now finished and all the track have been installed.

The first ever run on this new module was done tonight. Not a complete round because the tracks in the yard are not connected to power yet, but the front part has been tested.

All visible parts have got MTL track, hidden part have got some Märklin track and some Peco flextrack. I could have used MTL all over, but I have plenty of the other track and try to use Märklin and Peco in hidden areas.

  

Check out video: