Good progress in track laying

The last weeks I have installed some more track and have good progress. Using MT flex-track on visible parts and Peco flex in tunnels and hidden areas. 

The hidden station is in place and most of the outer double track. Still need to connect the handbuild turnouts. Also need to build many of them. In hidden areas I use Märklin turnouts.

Some minor changes in the trackplan as we build. 

 



 

First run on the new layout

Check out my first run on the new layout. The lower track is installed, and I needed to check if the big AZL steamers would run on the track. Minimum radius on this part is 195 mm. 

Building turnouts

Now I have started to build the turnouts and have finished 1 stright and 1 curved turnout. I am planning to use this on all visible turnouts on the layout. It takes some time, so I must see if I can build all the 12-15 stright I need. For the 10 curved I need, I must build them all, because they are bigger radius than the standard Märklin curved turnout. I use 220mm on both curved tracks. Hopefully they works better than the Märklin turnouts also. I must test that.

Layout in good progress

The work with the framework is going well. Some trackbeds are in position and the first holes in the walls have been cut. Soon I must start to install some track. The trackplan still have some minor changes.

Framework for layout in work

I have started to build the framework for the upper level of the new layout. I use the traditional way to build a layout, using L-girder beams, 45x15 mm and 9x33 mm. This make a very strong, slim and light base for the tracks. The framework is constructed of 3 frames, screwed together. Tonight the middle section is installed and one of the other is in construction. I must buy some more lumber tomorrow. 

I have also done a lot of changes on the trackplan the last weeks, check it here.

Background close to finish

The background is painted blue and the work to fade the blue over to more white is in progress. Still some more work to do to get the final result I want. The frontboard above is painted black, and hopefully I soon can start to install some lumber for the layout. The progress has been slow for the last weeks.

The frontboard is painted

The frontboard has received the first layer of black and the background is ready to be painted white. Now I need to mount some elctrical outlets and switches permanently. Soon I can start to build the layout.

The background soon ready

It have taken some time to sand and paint the background, to make it ready for the final surface. But now I am there and have also startet to install the frontboard above the layout.

The first paint is on the wall

Have sanded all the transitions, and primed with first layer of paint today. Must sand over at least one more time and fix the places where there are some errors. The curve toward the ceiling, are not perfectly round in all locations.

I think it's been pretty good, but I'm curious if it will hold or if it will crack in the joints. Have not considered whether I should wallpaper the whole thing with a completely neutral wallpaper that can be painted on.

The question is whether it gets better, it will surely become some joints here, but I'm pretty good doing wallpaper after many years of decorating.Smile The great advantage of a wallpaper, is that any cracks do not seem so easy. A good paint may be able to be flexible enough and create the same effect?

Front Fascia and color
There will be a front fascia at the ceiling and I'm unsure of the color. Previously I have used and thought of using matt black, but it gets very high contrast. A dark green might try good, but again the high contrast. Have seen a few used more beige and coffee latte color, which is a bit more neutral. The same color will also be used to plant the front desk.
The facility's main lighting will be warm white LED stripes of brightness is good enough, or LED bulbs in halogen shelf. Anyway, I want to be able to create bright sunlight, a bright day in California.

  

Filling and sanding of the backdrop

I have done some work doing filling and sandig of the backdrop, so the surface can be as good as possible. The corners look good. After more filling and sanding, the next task is to prime the background. And may be some more filling and sanding if necesarry. I try to make it as good as possible before painting.

The backdrop is in place

All the plywood and corners for the backdrop and roof are installed. One of the corners are in place and the plastercloth model works well. Check also out the panorama of the layout room, made by 5 images.

 

The backdrop is in progress

I have done some work on the backdrop and roof. Soon I can start the sanding and surface preparation.

I have molded a testcorner, using a ballon and plasterclothing. It can be used, but I need to buy a bigger ballon.

  

Building the new permanent empire has started

The building of my new permanent layout empire has started. The preparation of the physical site, the layout room has started. The planning of the new layout is in a good position, so now the building of the background and roof has started.

I want to have no sharp corners between the background and roof, so in the corners I use paperpipes to mold concrete columns in, diameter 20 cm, that have been cut in 4 parts, each forming a 90 degrees curved element, to be placed in the corner, between the roof and walls.

 

Coloring in progress

Now I have prepared the rocksurface on the module and it's near finish. The first coloring of the rock have been done. A test with some of my new trees from Loren Snyder. The foliage is put on for test.

A lot of more work to be done on the coloring on detailing of the surface.